Testing To Diagnose Problem
Smells like eggs, onions or similar odor.
Probably hydrogen sulfide. Check out these links for more info:
- Hydrogen Sulfide in Household Drinking Water, Cornell University (pdf)
- Household Water Quality: Hydrogen Sulfide in Household Water, Virginia Tech
- Drinking Water: Sulfates and Hydrogen Sulfide, University of Nebraska
- Hydrogen Sulfide in Drinking Water, Ohio State University
Orange, brown or black stains
Probably iron or manganese. See info at:
- Iron in Drinking Water, Pacific Northwest Extension
- Iron in Drinking Water, Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources
- Removing Mineral Deposits from Household Surfaces, NC Extension
White chalky spots on dishes and plumbing fixtures.
Sounds like hard water. The spots are calcium and magnesium. See info at:
- Drinking Water: Hard Water, University of Nebraska
- Household Water Quality--Water Hardness, Virginia Cooperative Extension
More information on testing and treatment
Try these links and also visit the Water Treatment page on this site.